Thursday, March 19, 2015

Fence Post Repair

Gap in fence with old post and a couple boards missing
So the fence that borders my neighbors in the back has started to sag in a couple of spots. My neighbor decided that he was willing and able to do the work if I was willing and able to buy the materials....having removed a post or two before, I knew immediately that I was getting the better end of the deal.

So unfastening the boards near the post and the cross boards to the post was the easy part....it was manhandling the 100+ pound of cement out of the deep hole in the ground that really got all of us working.

We ended up having to use a chain with a ratchet on it around a nearby tree to finally get the chuck out. My neighbor disposed of all the broken parts from the fence.

Once he had the old posts out, we mixed new cement and poured it into the hole with the new post in it. The cement sets pretty quickly but he came out several times to recheck level to make sure that the posts weren't shifting much.

The chuck of old cement with the broken post end in it


New post in place


New cement in place

Once the new posts set up overnight, the new brackets for the cross support boards and the new fence boards could be put on.

Cement cured and boards refastened


Second new post in


And set


Finished fence posts, nice straight fence

I think he did a great job and I still ended up with the better end of the deal. I have a post on the other side that needs fixing too but probably will have to hire someone as the slope of the yard near it might make it very hard to deal with.

No comments: