Friday, May 22, 2015

The Bamboo Lagoon Project

Empty dirty pool looking towards shallow end
So it begins...the liner has been a problem for some time now. The breaking point was this last fall when a raccoon got into the pool and couldn't get out and tore a hole in one corner. Then this winter, one of the railings started to come loose.

I tried to patch the hole a couple of times because the size of it and the location made it very hard to keep the pool full enough to filter correctly but I couldn't keep a patch over it. It was just too big to really stick.

So I talked to the pool company this winter about what my options were and then once we warmed up, made an appointment to have it looked out.

On Thursday, Bill came out and gave it a look, gave me a quote and helped me start draining the pool. It took about 9 hours to completely drain it, and then Bill came back today to do all the measurements for the new liner.

The reason it looks so dirty is because I didn't do any maintenance through the winter (would have been a waste of money) knowing we were going to dump the water this spring.

Looking towards the deep end
It will take about 3 weeks to get the liner in before we can start replacing it. For now, we leave the old liner in just to protect the framing from the weather. Bill said that because we don't have groundwater issues (the yard is sloped and the pool is actually behind and above our house), it should be an easy refit. They don't replace the steps (and to do that would cost almost the same as the liner) but they replace all the other plastic parts and the drain when it is all said and done.


Cayman/Prism

This is the motif that I picked out. One thing I wanted was a simple design that would go well with our deck and landscaping. The dark blue bottom will make the water look awesome. The brown section in this motif is less orange in real life (I was able to see a sample of the vinyl) and will look nice with our weathered redwood deck...now to replace some of the boards on the deck...the list never gets any shorter.

I will update as the project progresses. I am hoping to be off work on the days when Bill is here doing the replacements so I can see the process and take photos.

No comments: