Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Magic Mesh At The Bamboo Lagoon

Spring is coming and that means tons of stuff to do in the yard on top of the humongous list that is already sitting in the back of my brain.

Today, I wanted to get the front and side yard mowed so that I could overseed it and then possibly weed and feed it later this week too. I knocked that out first. Then I grabbed some clippers and made my way around the yard to all the potted things (that I didn't get in the ground in the fall) to see what needed to be trimmed off and who was still living and who wasn't.

Looks like the raspberries made it through a second winter in pots, and all the sedium is doing good too. The herbs were hit pretty bad with the cold weather and so far, I am only seeing signs of life in the chives, orange mint, peppermint, and common sage. I am hoping that given some time, the other sage, the rosemary and the lavendar will come back too. I don't need to plant any of them yet so I pruned off the dead stuff and am hoping for the best.

One of the potted bamboos in the back seems to have died, so I cut it back short and hope that some life comes out of the dirt soon. I might move it to a sunny spot to help this. The botttom of the stalks seemed kind of green so let's hope the roots are still okay and can send up shoots.

Once I had finished pruning up the dead stuff, I decided that I needed to get the screen for the door between the house and the garage done, so this year we can have some airflow in the downstairs without having a ton of bugs get in. The install was pretty easy and hopefully it will keep the bugs down and not end up being a hassle in the doorway.

No comments: