Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Electric Continues At The Bamboo Lagoon

Supplies
As I mentioned in a previous post, right before this winter storm was going to hit, I made a dash to the DIY to stock up on parts for several electrical projects. In staying with my "one thing" goal, I decided that even if I didn't get it all done in one day, I was going to knock out a portion of it today for sure.

Easiest starting place was the masterbath and bedroom since turning off a breaker there doesn't affect any other part of the house. So I got all my parts and tools ready and set to work. If you remember, this is the end result of my brass removal project on the switch plates in the bathroom. Looked okay, but not great since the switches were still old and tan, and the plate wasn't very big (it was one I took from the downstairs bath).


So I removed the plate, turned off the power to the masterbath and bedroom, and pulled out the switches.


I removed both switches (which I have gotten really good at doing), and put in the new ones.


Then I put on a better white plate (so I could use the other one back downstairs when it comes time to fix that bathroom). Turns out the new cover is almost the same size as the brass one I removed so the line in the paint no longer shows.


This is the finished product. I hope to change the exhaust fan that one of these is connected to, at a later time. These were just two of the 5 single pole switches I did today. I also did 6 15A outlets, and their covers, plus removed a poorly set up workaround for cable that I am sure one of our shitty renters put in.

On top of the electrical, I also added insulation behind any outlets that were on outside walls. With the wind we have today, I could totally feel a breeze coming in through the electric boxes so hopefully the insulation will make things more efficient.

Next step is to replace outlets and switches in the laundry room and livingroom, along with insulating any switches or plugs on outside walls throughout the house.

No comments: