Thursday, February 7, 2013

12 Gauge Wire Is Not My Favorite

Dimmer and outlet switch in diningroom (before)
Electric continues at the Bamboo Lagoon, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. As I mentioned in this earlier post, the living room and dining room outlets are all on 12 gauge wire, even though the breakers are 15A and none of the outlets are 20A. 12 gauge wire is thick and when you have 4 or even 6 wires coming into one box along with a ground wire, it is hard to manipulate.

20A new outlet
One of the first outlets in the living room had 6 wires coming in and there was no way that I was going to be able to wire nut them all together with a piece of 14 gauge in each and then push it all back into the tiny box so on that outlet I opted to put in a 20A outlet because it allows for 12 gauge wire in the back of the outlet and then I only had to put the two extras on the screws.

While I was working with two switches a couple of days ago (finally got rid of the second dimmer switch), I realized that three of the dining room outlets are on a kitchen circuit (that actually is 20A). So one switch was on the living room circuit and the other switch was on the dining room circuit. I was actually taking out one of the switches and just wire nutting the wires together because all it did was run an outlet that I wanted to have on all the time.
Diningroom switch (after)

So today, I finished up the dining room outlets, swearing at the resistant 12 gauge wire the entire time, but fortunately none of the outlets had 6 wires so I was able to use the standard 15A outlets I bought in bulk and I didn't have to use any more 20A outlets (which cost a lot more).

I just have two more outlets, a cable box, and a blank plate left to do in the livingroom and then it is on to the office, and then the outlet, switch, faceplate project will be done (although, there will still be some more electrical projects on the To Do list). It will be nice to have this one knocked out and know that all the outlets and switches are in good shape and working properly, and of course look much better.

No comments: