Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Drape Fix At The Bamboo Lagoon

Before with 3 1/2 inch gap at bottom
For some reason, the previous owner of The Bamboo Lagoon mounted curtain rods over both of the sliding glass doors about 3 1/2 inches higher than they are standardly mounted, so when anyone put any standard length panels up, they were 3 1/2 inches short on the bottom.

I am not sure how any of the renters dealt with it, but for the last six months, we have had 3 panels hanging on each door that all look like they are waiting for a flood. At the DIY store, I found a sliding glass door rod that I liked and so I was able to tackle the back sliding glass door. The front one will take a bit more work but I am very happy with the back door and can't wait for the store to get another one of the rods in stock so I can get the front slider done too. The rod is very simple and fits with the desired look.

When I took the old rod down, I found that I needed to fill the holes left by the old mount and also needed to paint. So I set about doing that (thankfully we still have left over paint from the interior paint job that was done in 2009). Managed to walk around and touch up a few other small spots on the paint in the main living area which was kind of nice.

First two brackets, after paint and filling
Almost perfect

Once the paint (2 coats) dried, I started the mounting process, which was relatively easy. After installing the first two brackets, I put up the rod so I could check for level and without even trying, I was almost perfectly level on the first try.


After, with nice rod and no gap!
As you can see from the last pic, the panels now reach the floor...and some day when there is no carpet in here, they will be at a perfect height. I would love to eventually put a different kind of door in here later but that is a wish for another day, far, far away...

No comments: