Sunday, February 10, 2013

Finished Livingroom Electrical At The Bamboo Lagoon

Cable jack and blank plate behind TV (before)
Last but not least, there were four outlets of various types left in the living room that needed to be done. Two regular outlets, one cable outlet, and one blank plate that had been painted over.

I had to put in two blue boxes in the midst of this (which I have gotten pretty good at now). The only trick was that the cable jack is hooked to the booster for the entire house, so while working on it, no cable, no Internet, and no house phone.

In order to put the blue boxes in and a new plate cover, I would have to cut the connector off the end of the cable and put a new one on. I was using some twist-on ones, so I wouldn't have to buy a crimper/stripper tool for it.

Last outlet (before)
I did the first outlet rather quickly and then I moved to the two blue boxes. Pulled off the painted over cover, cut the cable end on the other so it could be removed, started marking and cutting the sheetrock. I got the boxes put in pretty easily and the blank box done completely. I finished up the cable one, and decided before moving furniture back into place, I would hook everything back up, turn on the breaker and make sure the cable was working like it should.

Two boxes installed
And it wasn't. It seemed like everything was hooked up right, but for some reason nothing was getting a signal...I figured that my connector just wasn't cutting it. There is this booster that I have never used before, and of course we have HD signal now, and I thought maybe the connector I bought was just not that good enough. There is no TV or device hooked up to any of the other jacks I have replaced so none of them have been tested.

Cable jack almost complete
Anyhow, I decided to bite the bullet. It was 5pm on a Sunday night and Home Depot was my only option. I went and got the best of the connectors, an extra piece of coax in case I needed it, and a crimping tool.

Two jacks completed
Last outlet (after)
Came home and finished up the connection using all the new stuff and it works...so now, I have to go back to all the cable jacks I already did (three) and make sure that they have good connectors and connections on them as well. At least I don't have to cut the drywall again, and I am done with all outlets on the main floor (other than the office and the 240 for the dryer).

No comments: