Friday, February 22, 2013

Pruning At The Bamboo Lagoon

It is that time of year when lots of things need to be pruned before new growth starts. The yardwaste bin was also going out on Monday so the nice weather provided the perfect opportunity to get out and get some of it knocked out. I haven't completed even a third of what needs to be done, but I did make a dent.

I cut back all the nandinas in the front and side yards.

One of many nandinas (before)
Same nandina (after)
I got to all the roses in the front, side and back yard. I also managed to get my herb pots cleaned up.

Herbs (before)
Herbs (after)
I cleaned out two flower beds for future planting.

Front bed (before)
Front bed (after)
Porch bed for future bamboo (after)
In the process of cutting back some of the roses, I was able to also get rid of some nasty blackberries that were trying to entangle things. I also discovered how the white lattice is attached to the pool deck and now can get back behind it to clean out some things that are trying to sprout up through the deck boards.

Blackberry and roses in front of pool (before)
Only roses left in front of pool (after)
I still need to get up on the higher terraces (hope to knock some of that out this week, weather permitting). There is rock wall repair and sprinkler repair that needs to be done as well. But as I see it, it is a work in progress and none of it is going to happen all at once.

No comments: