Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Today, Just One Thing At The Bamboo Lagoon

Home improvement motivation lagged today at the Bamboo Lagoon, so I told myself to get just one thing done, and the one thing was to finally put in the box for the cable hookup in the master bedroom. I had already changed out this outlet and the cover for it but in order to connect the cover for the cable jack, I needed to put in a box. I knew that connecting a regular cover to the drywall would not be a permanent fix, it would eventually get loose and be sloppy.

I found these cool boxes at the DIY, with the help of a lovely employee, that are made just for this kind of application. You do not need to have a stud to tie into, and you don't have to make a huge hole in your wall and then patch it. You just cut a hole the same size as the box and then use the built in clamps to secure the box to the drywall itself.

So I grabbed my handy dandy drywall saw (which I purchased for another drywall project I have yet to do), and cut a smart little hole the same size as the blue box. I tried to line it up so that when both covers were on, it would look neat and tidy. Since this is an outside wall, there is insulation behind the hole but this is okay because it meant I didn't have to add any little insulation pieces to the cover once I was done with it.

I popped one of the preformed holes in the back of the box out and threaded the cable line into it. I then pushed the box into the hole and proceeded to screw it into place. I stripped the cable wire as instructed on the coax endings I needed to put on it. I also put the pieces of the cover adapter on the the blue box to help me connect the cover later.

I then added the threaded pieces that go on the cover to hold the coax in place once it is on the wall and connected the coax to the cover. I had to work a bit to push the coax back into the wall so I could screw in the cover plate. When the room gets painted in the near future, all these coverplates have to come off and I don't want it to be a mess or too difficult to accomplish. There isn't anything to hook up to this new jack but at least is looks better than it did and it is all set up just in case we do at some point have a device we want to hook to it.


Here is the final result...minus the new paint we'll someday have.

No comments: